Saturday, January 23, 2010

A very important lunch date

December 10th
William entered the hospital on December 4th. After all four of us were at the pediatrician's office that day, Fred came home to put Nicholas down for a nap. In the meantime, we ran home to grab some things and had left for the hospital without saying goodbye to our sleeping Nicholas. Of course, I was expecting to be there 1, maybe 2 days. We also did not know children under 18 years old were not being allowed in the hospital due to H1N1 risk.
I'm ever-so thankful for the wonderful care my parents provided Nicholas and my loving aunts who kindly drove to B'ville to watch Nicholas to relieve my parents to visit the hospital. Eventually, Fred started to make visits to see Nicholas but I had yet to feel ready to leave William, despite the tremendous longing to see Nicholas.
Nearly a week later, with William more stable in the PICU, and Poppie at the hospital to care for William, I finally got to spend time with my first baby. I still remember his squeal, "My Mommy!" when I got to the car.
That afternoon, we had a wonderful lunch of ice cream sundaes at Friendly's. I'll never forget how hard it was not to "talk shop" with Fred. My mind kept drifting back to William, thinking how much our lives had changed since I last saw Nicholas, how we were going to explain all this to him, wondering if we would make it through this...and on and on....but gosh, it was so wonderful to see him!

No comments: