Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Relyea's Camping Trip...

... in our backyard!

We finally had the perfect night to camp out! Nicholas was psyched for this "trip" for days, especially the campfire plans. We set up the tent...

and it passed official inspection by Nicholas (even though he was trying to talk us into using his tent).


"I'm going to sleep in the tent with Daddy...and Mommy is going to sleep in the house with Baby William, because he is a baby and is too small...and I'm going to make a campfire when it gets dark..."

(it sure is hard to get a picture of this boy when he's excited - he doesn't stop talking!)


For Fred and I, it was so nostalgic to pull out all our camping supplies, since we've yet to use them since having kids.


"I'm sleeping in the house with Mommy!"


Relaxing in his spot in the tent!

Of course, Puppy had to go camping too!

The boys built a nice fire to make smores. Nicholas kept asking to go to sleep in the tent.

One last marshmallow before bed!


Around 9:30, the boys headed to the tent. Before I was even in the house, I heard Nicholas yell, "I want to go back to the campfire!"From the house, I could see the flashlights flickering. I thoroughly enjoyed opening the window to hear their conversation, including Nicholas asking "what's that sound" to everything and asking Daddy to "turn off the crickets." He finally settled to sleep around nearly 11pm...and was promptly awake at 6:30.


It sure was fun! Next year we look forward to a trip at a real campground (and yes, Mommy and William will sleep in the tent too!).

1 comment:

Marian said...

No better place for a first camping trip than in the yard! We love going camping, but we tend to go to the Adirondacks, and I prefer the safety of a cabin. :) Next summer we're hoping to go somewhere without bears so we can take the tent.