Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Independences

Suddenly, Nicholas seems to be developing many new independences. He started this battle with me over coming downstairs in the morning "just a little bit without you," meaning he wants to come down when I'm still getting ready for the day. I started to give in a couple minutes earlier here and there, but admittedly was rather surprised when he returned upstairs holding a perfectly peeled banana telling me, "boy, I'm just really hungry today."
And to think I've been peeling this boy's bananas for how long!

Nicholas just admires the big boys of the neighborhood. He's always reporting what antics they are up to and finds it so hard to stay in our yard when they are out playing in the street. The other day I caught him yelling to the boys, "come over to my house and play with me in my backyard!" Sure enough, his buds Andrew and Bryant came over. Nicholas was psyched and kept saying, "hey, check this out!" as he showed them his playset, sandbox and hose. He even started pumping his legs when swinging (despite all my efforts this summer, all it took was watching an 8 year old). The best was when Nicholas came to me and said, "Andrew and my friend want a popsicle."

Another new interest - picking out his own clothes and footware for the day. His preference is still for pajamas, but I have to say there's been some unique fashion statements.

No comments: