Monday, November 8, 2010

Exploring the YMCA

November 3
A few weeks ago, we joined the YMCA through their Livestrong Program.  The boys are each enrolled in a class - William in Caterpillars and Nicholas in Gym & Swim.  This week was their first classes.  William had a ball trotting around the gym exploring the Cozy Coupes, giggling while dunking basketballs and just being around other tots his age.

I have to say, I couldn't be prouder of Nicholas.  I was a bit leery entering the experience after our not-so-successful previous experiences with independent sport lessons.  He transitioned beautifully, attended well and participated in all the activities.   They started with some basic stretches, ran a few laps around the gym (Nicholas cutting through the middle, just like all the other kids), they played Red Rover, Duck Duck Goose, Red Light - Green Light and his favorite, What Time is It Mr. Fox.

I realize this accomplishment may seem minor to many other mothers. 
For me, it was huge.
 It actually brought a tear to my eye.  He wasn't the overly-shy boy who wouldn't try anything. I didn't have to peal him off my leg at the door...and to top it off, he was extremely happy being there.  He watched the other kids to look for cues how to play the games, since it was obvious the other kids had a lot of experience with these classes and games.  About 10 minutes into the class, he turned to me on the bleachers and said, "thank you Mommy for bringing me to the YMCA today!" 
For that hour, we were just like any other family...and just enjoyed the moment.

After a half hour in the gym, Nicholas hit the pool with his new group of buddies.  After all his swimming in the "big lake" this summer, he was pumped to try an indoor pool.  I think he was having a hard time understanding the concept of an indoor pool.  He asked a few times, "You mean it is warm in the pool water, even though it is too cold outside?"


His instructor demonstrated all of the skills they practiced this week- the front stroke scooping their favorite flavor ice cream, the backstroke and the side stroke.  The kids squealed hysterically when they got splashed - so cute!



My little pool fishy!

I love this video clip.  Nicholas chattered the entire time, talking about scooping his favorite ice cream, mint chocolate chip.  He was so proud of himself at the end, as I was equally of him.
(unfortunately, its tough to hear all that he was saying, but its a specially fond memory for me~)

No comments: