Friday, July 1, 2011

Soccer League: Revisited with Success!

June 30th

Not to bring up a bad subject, but lets face it, last spring, we had a couple really unsuccessful (nearly traumatic) attempts at sports for Nicholas.  Mini Shooters was rather painful for Nicholas and Mommy....and I can't even begin to think about gymnastics (I'm still trying to erase that from permanent memory).  When Nicholas out-of-the-blue told me he wanted to play soccer again I admittedly took a long pause. 

A really long pause.

Really?  Where is this coming from? I didn't want to seem unsupportive but certainly had some concern.  A couple weeks ago, we ended his YMCA Gym & Swim classes with a belly flop....no, not into the pool, but with a whinny, glued-to-my leg, whimpering, mumbling 4 year-old on the sidelines as his group practiced their jumps into the deep end. 

After a long, deep, cleansing breathe for myself, Nicholas and I discussed the responsibilities of signing up for a sport.  I explained that his team would be depending on him to go to all practices and always put forth his best effort.  There's no whining on the field...and Mommy can't be out there with him.  He very agreeably assured me he "really, really, really wants to play soccer!"


Tonight was his first practice....and I couldn't have been more proud of him!




He was out there with all the other kids.  He followed directions, tried his best with each activity and even occasionally giggled with TJ while waiting in line.


He made all the parents on the sideline laugh when Coach Maggie said, "We're going to play a game to get to know everyone's name."  Nicholas assertively responded, "Well, I already know my name!"


We only had one minor meltdown when another boy insisted on keeping the only green ball.  Nicholas got really upset, since green is his favorite color and he had already used it for most of the practice.  With a little encouragement....and a peer who eventually gave up the ball I think just to make Nicholas stop complaining about it....Soccer 2011 was a success!

And the whole experience even ended with a green popsicle from coach!

Once in the car, Nicholas said, "I just love soccer!  I can't wait to come again tomorrow!"

Well, here's hoping his enthusiasm will last until next Thursday...
We have one more week of "practice" until the games start.  Each player is guaranteed to play at least half each game (....gulp)

2 comments:

Lexi said...

He will be great! Sending prayers of support to you, though! Great job talking him through the responsibilities, too. Can't wait to hear how he enjoys soccer!!!

Megan said...

Kristie,
I am totally celebrating this with you!!! I know how much of an accomplishment things like this are. Way to go Nicholas and momma:) Soccer for us starts Wednesday. I was a little disappointed to see "parent scrimmage" on the schedule every other time.