Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Day of Pre-K for Nicholas!

My first baby has officially started Universal Pre-K!
The day before Nicholas' first day, I spent nearly every minute of my available time to writing a letter to his teacher and director of the program that started with, "I'd like to take this opportunity to share a few things about Nicholas and our family that I feel are important to know..."  I have to wonder how many other parents were compelled to do the same.  Yes, our life is a little different than most....just a little.

This milestone for Nicholas brings so much change for our family.  Since Nicholas was pulled from his 3-year-old program last December when William was facing chemotherapy in the middle of flu season, he has really spent nearly all his time by Mommy's side (that is when Mommy is not stuck in a hospital with William).  I have so many fears entering this new situation:  the obvious relating to infection exposure coming home to William, the logistics of me getting Nicholas there everyday (since our mornings are already so hectic),... the fact that Nicholas will surely be one of the youngest kids in his class, if not the youngest.

 Then there's all the other things swirling through my fears.   Nicholas is a very sensitive child, a touch shy and definitely picks up on many details, almost in an intuitive way.  He gets upset on the few occasions that just he and I go out to do something.  He demands, "but what about William?  Why isn't he coming with us too.....Mommy, Nicholas and William."  Then when we're out without William, he is sure to report to anyone who seems willing to lend an ear..."My little brother William is home right now...."

As much as I'm looking forward to this time apart for us, lets face it - he needs time away and I need some time without him, its still hard to think of us being apart for so much of the day.  All we can do is try it and see how it goes.....my new motto.

So, we headed off to Nicholas' first day at Learn As You Grow.  I attempted pictures of him at the house, but he refused.  He told me, "not until we get to the school Mom!"  After a battle with William to get him secured in the hip hammock, his IV backpack hung over my shoulder, the camera around my neck and a near bribe to get Nicholas out of the car.....we headed toward the building.  Other parents were snapping pictures of their cute kids posing.  I pumped up my Nicholas, "Okay honey, your turn!  Let's take a picture to remember your first day!"

ta-da!
Ya know, last year I would have been disappointed, but this year.....hey, just us getting to this point is an accomplishment.  Not to mention, his expression says it all...that's my Nicholas, through and through!

Later in the day, I got another true Nicholas expression...
My favorite is definitely this video clip.  Yes, that is him running off the bus (completely exhausted he can barely walk straight) saying, "Mommmmmie, I'm home! School was great!" even before he is off the bus.

First day - a success!

No comments: